Since 1985, FCA has been governed by a full-time, three-person board, whose members are appointed by the president with the advice and consent of the Senate.
They serve six-year terms and may not be reappointed to succeed themselves after serving full terms or more than three years of previous members’ terms. The president designates one member as chairman of the board, who serves until the end of his or her own term. The chairman also serves as FCA’s chief executive officer.
What the board does
The FCA board approves the policies, regulations, charters, and enforcement activities that ensure a strong Farm Credit System. The board also provides for the examination and supervision of the FCS, including Farmer Mac, and oversees the FCS Building Association’s activities.
Glen R. Smith was designated chairman and CEO of the Farm Credit Administration by President Donald Trump on July 17, 2019. He has served as a member of the FCA board since December 2017. Mr. Smith will serve a term that expires May 21, 2022. You can read more about Chairman Smith on our Meet our leaders page.
Communication from Mr. Smith
- February 3, 2020: Remarks at the Farm Credit Council Annual Meeting (PDF)
- November 19, 2019: Oral statement (PDF) before a hearing of the House Agriculture Committee's Subcommittee on Commodity Exchanges, Energy, and Credit. Video of the full hearing.
- August 7, 2019: Remarks at the Farm Credit Administration All-Staff Meeting (PDF)
- April 10, 2019: Remarks at the Farm Credit Bank of Texas Annual Stockholders Meeting (PDF)
- February 6, 2019: Farm Credit System — U.S. Agricultural Credit Conditions (PDF), presentation at the American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers meeting in Ames, Iowa, and to the ECON 466: Agricultural Finance class at Iowa State University.
- November 13, 2018: Remarks to a delegation from the National Bureau of Statistics of China (PDF)
- August 1, 2018: Remarks at the Farm Credit West Board Meeting (PDF)
- June 4, 2018: Remarks at the Farm Credit Council Board of Directors Meeting (PDF)
- March 5, 2018: Remarks at the AgriBank Annual Meeting (PDF)
Jeffery S. Hall was appointed to the FCA board by President Barack Obama on March 17, 2015. Mr. Hall is serving a term that expired on October 13, 2018. He will continue to serve until his successor has been named. You can read more about Mr. Hall on our Meet our leaders page.
- June 13, 2019: Statement (PDF) at the FCA board meeting, acknowledging the passing of Dallas Tonsager and his many contributions to U.S. agriculture and rural America
- April 17, 2018: Remarks at the Directors and Management Meeting, Farm Credit Associations of Oklahoma (PDF)
- September 27, 2017: Remarks at the AgriBank District Conference (PDF)
- October 13, 2016: Statement (PDF) in recognition of National Co-op Month at the FCA Board Meeting
- July 14, 2016: Statement (PDF) on the Farm Credit System 100th Anniversary Resolution at the FCA Board Meeting
- March 29, 2016: Remarks at the Texas Farm Credit Bank Board Meeting (PDF)
- March 10, 2016: Statement (PDF) on the adoption of the tier 1/tier 2 regulatory capital framework at the FCA Board Meeting
- March 10, 2016: Statement (PDF)
- October 20, 2015: Remarks at the AgFirst Board Meeting (PDF)
- October 8, 2015: Statement (PDF) on the board resolution recognizing October as National Cooperative Month at the FCA board meeting
- June 17, 2015: Remarks at the AgriBank Board Meeting (PDF)