Type: FCA Regulation
PART 630 - DISCLOSURE TO INVESTORS IN SYSTEM-WIDE AND CONSOLIDATED BANK DEBT OBLIGATIONS OF THE FARM CREDIT SYSTEM
Subpart C - Quarterly Reports to Investors
§ 630.40 Contents of the quarterly report to investors.
(a) General. The quarterly report to investors shall contain the information specified in this section along with any other material information necessary to make the required disclosures, in light of the circumstances under which they are made, not misleading. The quarterly report must be presented in a format that is easily understandable and not misleading.
(b) Rules for condensation. For purposes of this subpart, major captions to be provided in interim financial statements are the same as those provided in the financial statements contained in the annual report to investors, except that the financial statements included in the quarterly report may be condensed into major captions in accordance with the rules prescribed under this paragraph.
(1) Interim balance sheets. When any major balance sheet caption is less than 10 percent of total assets and the amount in the caption has not increased or decreased by more than 25 percent since the end of the preceding fiscal year, the caption may be combined with others.
(2) Interim statements of income. When any major income statement caption is less than 15 percent of average net income for the 3 most recent fiscal years and the amount in the caption has not increased or decreased by more than 20 percent since the corresponding interim period of the preceding fiscal year, the caption may be combined with others. In calculating average net income, loss years should be excluded. If losses were incurred in each of the 3 most recent fiscal years, the average loss shall be used for purposes of this test.
(3) The interim financial information shall include disclosure either on the face of the financial statements or in accompanying footnotes sufficient to make the interim information presented not misleading. It may be presumed that users of the interim financial information have read or have access to the audited financial statements for the preceding fiscal year, and the adequacy of additional disclosure needed for a fair presentation may be determined in that context. Accordingly, footnote disclosure that would substantially duplicate the disclosure contained in the most recent audited financial statements (such as a statement of significant accounting policies and practices) and details of accounts that have not changed significantly in amount or composition since the end of the most recently completed fiscal year may be omitted.
(4) Interim reports shall disclose events that have occurred subsequent to the end of the most recently completed fiscal year that have a material impact on the System. Disclosures should encompass, for example, significant changes since the end of the most recently completed fiscal year in such items as accounting principles and practices, estimates used in the preparation of financial statements, status of long-term contracts, capitalization, significant new indebtedness or modification of existing financing agreements, financial assistance received, significant business combinations and liquidations of System institutions, and terminations of System institution status. Notwithstanding the provisions of this paragraph, where material contingencies exist, disclosure of such matters shall be provided even though a significant change since yearend may not have occurred.
(5) In addition to meeting the reporting requirements specified by existing accounting pronouncements for accounting changes, state the date of any material accounting change and the reasons for making it.
(6) Any material prior period adjustment made during any period covered by the interim financial statements shall be disclosed, together with its effect upon net income and upon the balance of surplus for any prior period included. If results of operations for any period presented have been adjusted retroactively by such an item subsequent to the initial reporting of such period, similar disclosure of the effect of the change shall be made.
(7) Interim financial statements furnished shall reflect all adjustments that are necessary to a fair statement of the results for the interim periods presented. A statement to that effect shall be included. Furnish any material information necessary to make the information called for not misleading, such as a statement that the results for interim periods are not necessarily indicative of results to be expected for the year.
(8) If any amount that would otherwise be required to be shown by this section with respect to any item is not material, it need not be separately shown. The combination of insignificant items is permitted.
(c) Discussion and analysis of interim financial condition and results of operations. Discuss any material changes to the information disclosed to investors pursuant to § 630.20(g) that have occurred during the periods specified in paragraphs (d)(1) and (d)(2) of this section. Provide any additional information needed to enable the reader to assess material changes in financial condition and results of operations between the periods specified in paragraphs (d)(1) and (d)(2) of this section.
(1) Material changes in financial condition. Discuss any material changes in financial condition from the end of the preceding fiscal year to the date of the most recent interim balance sheet provided.
(2) Material changes in results of operations. Discuss any material changes in the combined results of operations of the System with respect to the most recent fiscal year-to-date period for which an income statement is provided and the corresponding year-to-date period of the preceding fiscal year. Such discussion shall also cover material changes with respect to the most recent fiscal quarter and the corresponding fiscal quarter in the preceding fiscal year.
(d) Financial statements. Interim combined financial statements must be provided in the quarterly report to investors as set forth in paragraphs (d)(1) through (4). Indicate that the financial statements were prepared under the oversight of the System Audit Committee.
(1) An interim balance sheet as of the end of the most recent fiscal quarter and a balance sheet as of the end of the preceding fiscal year.
(2) Interim statements of income for the most recent fiscal quarter, for the period between the end of the preceding fiscal year and the end of the most recent fiscal quarter, and for the comparable periods for the previous fiscal year.
(3) Interim statements of changes in capital stock and surplus (or, if applicable, interim statements of changes in protected borrower capital and capital stock and surplus) for the period between the end of the preceding fiscal year and the end of the most recent fiscal quarter, and for the comparable period for the preceding fiscal year.
(4) Interim statements of cash flows for the period between the end of the preceding fiscal year and the end of the most recent fiscal quarter, and for the comparable period for the preceding fiscal year.
(e) Supplemental information. The interim report shall present supplemental information in accordance with the requirements of § 630.20(m)(2), (m)(3), and (m)(4), as well as other requirements and instructions of the FCA, and shall include, at a minimum, the following:
(1) Supplemental balance sheet information as of the end of the most recent quarter; and
(2) Supplemental income statement information for the period between the end of the preceding fiscal year and the end of the most recent fiscal quarter.
(f) Review by independent public accountant. Unless otherwise ordered by the FCA as a result of a supervisory action, the interim financial statements and supplemental information need not be audited or reviewed by an independent public accountant prior to filing. If, however, a review of the report is made in accordance with the established professional standards and procedures for such a review, a statement that the independent accountant has performed such a review may be included. If such a statement is made, the report of the independent accountant on such review shall accompany the interim financial information.
[59 FR 46742, Sept. 12, 1994; 71 FR 5768, Feb. 2, 2006]
[FCA Home | FCA Handbook]