Type: FCA Regulation
PART 614 - LOAN POLICIES AND OPERATIONS
Subpart A - Lending Authorities
§ 614.4000 Farm Credit Banks.
(a) Long-term real estate lending. Except to the extent such authorities are transferred pursuant to section 7.6 of the Act, Farm Credit Banks are authorized, subject to the requirements in § 614.4200 of this part, to make real estate mortgage loans with maturities of not less than 5 years nor more than 40 years and continuing commitments to make such loans.
(b) Extensions of credit to Farm Credit direct lender associations. Farm Credit Banks are authorized to make loans and extend other similar financial assistance to associations with direct lending authority and discount for or purchase from such associations, with the association's endorsement or guaranty, any note, draft, and other obligations for loans that have been made in accordance with the provisions of subparts D and E of part 614 of these regulations. Such extensions of credit shall be made pursuant to a written financing agreement meeting the requirements of § 614.4125.
(c) Extensions of credit to other financing institutions. Farm Credit Banks are authorized to make loans and extend other similar financial assistance to any national bank, State bank, trust company, agricultural credit corporation, incorporated livestock loan company, savings institution, credit union, or any association of agricultural producers or any corporation engaged in the making of loans to farmers and ranchers or producers or harvesters of aquatic products (collectively, "other financing institutions"), for purposes eligible for financing by a production credit association in accordance with § 614.4130 and subpart P of this part. Farm Credit Banks are authorized to discount for or purchase from such institutions, with the institution's endorsement or guaranty, notes, drafts, and other obligations or loans made to persons and for purposes eligible for financing by a production credit association, in accordance with § 614.4130 and subpart P of this part.
(d) Loan participations. Subject to the requirements of subpart H of part 614, a Farm Credit Bank may enter into loan participation agreements with:
(1) Farm Credit banks and associations that are direct lenders and lenders that are not Farm Credit institutions on loans of the type it is authorized to make under title I of the Act;
(2) Farm Credit banks and associations that are direct lenders on loans it is not authorized to make, provided the borrower eligibility, membership, term, amount, loan security, and stock or participation certificate requirements of the originating institution are met; and
(3) The Federal Agricultural Mortgage Corporation to the extent provided in § 614.4055.
(e) Other interests in loans.
(1) Subject to the requirements of subpart H of this part, Farm Credit Banks may sell interests in loans only to:
(i) Farm Credit System institutions authorized to purchase such interests;
(ii) Other lenders that are not Farm Credit System institutions; and
(iii) Any certified agricultural mortgage marketing facility, as defined by section 8.0(3) of the Act, for the purpose of pooling and securitizing such loans under title VIII of the Act.
(2) Subject to the requirements of subpart H of this part, Farm Credit Banks may purchase interests other than participation interests in loans and nonvoting stock from other Farm Credit System institutions.
(3) Farm Credit Banks, in their capacity as certified agricultural mortgage marketing facilities under title VIII of the Act, may purchase interests in loans (other than participation interests authorized in paragraph (d) of this section) from institutions other than Farm Credit System institutions only for the purpose of pooling and securitizing such loans under title VIII of the Act.
(f) Residual powers after the transfer of lending authority to an association. After transferring its authority to make and participate in long-term real estate loans to an agricultural credit association or a Federal land credit association pursuant to section 7.6(a) of the Act and subpart E of part 611 of these regulations, a Farm Credit Bank retains residual authority to:
(1) Enter into loan participation agreements pursuant to paragraph (d) of this section;
(2) Purchase or sell other interests in loans in accordance with paragraph (e) of this section; and
(3) Make long-term real estate loans in accordance with paragraph (a) of this section in areas of its chartered territory where no active association operates.
[55 FR 24880, June 19, 1990, as amended at 57 FR 38246, Aug. 24, 1992; 57 FR 43290, Sept. 18, 1992; 62 FR 51013, Sept. 30, 1997; 63 FR 5723, Feb. 4, 1998; 64 FR 43049, Aug. 9, 1999; 65 FR 24102, Apr. 25, 2000; 67 FR 1281, Jan. 10, 2002]
[FCA Home | FCA Handbook]