FCS Diversity and Inclusion - PROPOSED RULE - MARCH 2011 Dear Mr. Van Meter,
Thank you for this opportunity to provide comment on ways the FCS can better serve small and midsized, local and regional food producers. I support your efforts to diversify the FCS loan portfolio and would ask that in defining what needs to be included in FCS marketing plans that you include:
1. An investment goal for local and regional food producers of not less than 10% of each institution’s capital within 5 years.
2. A plan for conducting outreach to local and regional food producers.
3. A requirement that such an outreach plan and periodic progress reports be made public.
4. A commitment to adding local and regional food producers to the FCS board.
5. A plan for developing lending and business support products with terms and benefits appropriate for local and regional food producers.
6. Develop a program to reach urban & suburban gardeners & farmers that would benefit from small micro-loans to encourage & facilitate the availability of fresh produce to local neighborhoods.
Donald Sturman 5611 Doorn Lane San Jose, CA 95118 San Jose, CA 95118