Statute: 1971 ACT AS AMENDED
Title: Title IV Provisions Applicable to Two or More Classes of Institutions of the System
Part: Part D Activities of Institutions of the System
U.S. Code Citation: 12 U.S.C.2206a
12 U.S.C. 2206a SEC. 4.18A. AUTHORITY OF FARM CREDIT BANKS AND DIRECT LENDER ASSOCIATIONS TO PARTICIPATE IN LOANS TO SIMILAR ENTITIES FOR RISK MANAGEMENT PURPOSES.
(a) DEFINITIONS. As used in this section:
(1) PARTICIPATE AND PARTICIPATION. The terms "participate" and "participation" shall have the meaning provided in section 3.1(11)(B)(iii).
(2) SIMILAR ENTITY. The term "similar entity" means a person that—
(A) is not eligible for a loan from the Farm Credit Bank or association; and
(B) has operations that are functionally similar to a person that is eligible for a loan from the Farm Credit Bank or association in that the person derives a majority of the income of the person from, or has a majority of the assets of the person invested in, the conduct of activities that are functionally similar to the activities that are conducted by an eligible person.
(b) LOAN PARTICIPATION AUTHORITY. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, any Farm Credit Bank or direct lender association chartered under this Act may participate in any loan of a type otherwise authorized under title I or II made to a similar entity by any person in the business of extending credit, except that a Farm Credit Bank or direct lender association may not participate in a loan under this section if—
(1) the participation would cause the total amount of all participations by the Farm Credit Bank or association under this section involving a single credit risk to exceed 10 percent (or the applicable higher lending limit authorized under regulations issued by the Farm Credit Administration if the stockholders of the respective Farm Credit Bank or association so approve) of the total capital of the Farm Credit Bank or association;
(2) the participation by the Farm Credit Bank or association would equal or exceed 50 percent of the principal of the loan or, when taken together with participations in the loan by other Farm Credit System institutions, would cause the cumulative amount of the participations by all Farm Credit System institutions in the loan to equal or exceed 50 percent of the principal of the loan;
(3) the participation would cause the cumulative amount of participations that the Farm Credit Bank or association has outstanding under this section to exceed 15 percent of the total assets of the Farm Credit Bank or association; or
(4) the loan is of the type authorized under section 1.11(b) or 2.4(a)(2).
[FCA Home | FCA Handbook]